Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Additional proof to what sugar does to you....it is most definitely a drug!

My cousin, the one who has the genetic marker for Celiac Disease and who subsequently is gluten-free,  sent me an article about sugar addiction.  Here is the  link.  It's an excellent article and provides proof to what I already found out on my own in regards to sugar addiction.  It's a must read.  Sugar came up in a conversation today with a coworker.  She was training me on the Smart Board (which is wicked freaking awesome!) and it was about 11 a.m.  I was getting hungry so I started snacking on my carrots. I offered her some and she politely declined.  Then she started talking about a friend of hers who is eating clean and is trying to get her to eat clean as well.  She said her friend gave up sugar, but she says she could never live without it.  I told her I had done the same and I feel better now in the last 6 weeks than I have in years.  I'm like a new person.  I no longer have the aches and pains, the mood swings, the cravings, the fog brain.  It's amazing.  I truly have no desire to eat again, even if it looks good.  I was at a training this afternoon and as a reward they were passing out chocolate minis.  I declined them, of course.  But, I have to admit, I was a little wistful.  However, it doesn't last long at all because the benefits I feel physically and emotionally outweigh any amount of direct craving.

****************Here's a recap of today's meals and activities******************

5 a.m. woke up from a terrible night sleep.  I had nightmares all night long and tossed and turned.  I couldn't shake them.  I had a lot of stress yesterday and it wrecks havoc on my brain.  I stayed in bed for 40 minutes checking my phone for a delayed opening.  Pathetic, I know.  To my dismay there was no delayed opening, so I missed my workout.  I promised myself I'd workout out this afternoon since Maggie couldn't go to swim practice because of her ear infection.

7 a.m.  Breakfast:  1/2 cup egg beaters, 3/4 oz. of Cooper cheese - which was one slice (wicked good cheese - I'm allowing myself just a tad bit of dairy in the form of cheese, but no other dairy), 1 tbsp salsa, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk

8 a.m.  Bought a large black tea at DD for the day

11 a.m.  Snack:  1 cup baby carrots

12:15 p.m.  Lunch:  2 cups salad, 3/4 cup chicken breast, 1/4 cup raisins in the salad, 2 tbsp dried sunflower seeds, 1 cup mixed berries (blackberries, blueberries, strawberries)

5:00 p.m.  Snack:  unsalted almonds.  I don't know how many I ate.  They came in a container of mixed nuts and dried fruit.  Sugar was the 2nd ingredient on the container because of all the dried fruit.  I tried a banana chip and was turned off by the overload of sweetness.  My taste buds are definitely changing! Amen!  But, I did pick out the almonds and only a couple of cashews.  I didn't have a measuring cup in my classroom, but I should for the sake of when I'm there late.  

8:45 pm.  Dinner:  3/4 cup chicken, 3/4 cup cooked quinoa, 1 cup green beans and broccoli.  I ate super late because I stayed at work to work on some Smart Board activities and lesson plans.  I have to admit that in the past, when I've stayed late, I would grab fast food on my way home.  I'd scoff it down and conveniently put the back in the garage trash can when I'd get home.  Then, I'd feel ashamed when Joe would say he left my dinner plate in the microwave for me to reheat.  I'd eat a second dinner just so I didn't have to tell him I ate fast food too.  How screwed up is that?!  Am I the only person that ever does that or did that?  

No workout today :(.  I really did not intend on staying so late at work.  I was prepared to go grocery shopping this afternoon and get my workout in, but I got totally excited about the Smart Board and couldn't wait to get started on creating work.  I can't wait for school tomorrow, so I can teach my students using the board.  I'm a nerd and I'm proud of it.  I WILL get up at 5 a.m. in the morning to workout without any excuses tomorrow even though it's 10:15 pm. right now and about an hour past my bedtime.  Wish me luck that I stick to my plan in them morning.  xoxo


1 comment:

  1. Smart boards are made here in Calgary! My kids have all had them in their classrooms since they all started school years ago - we are so lucky o use them!

    ReplyDelete