Thursday, February 12, 2015

As the adage goes.....


"Knowledge is power.  Information is liberating.  Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family," said Kofi Annan.  This couldn't be more true.  When I realized that my food issues were an addiction, I became liberated.  I knew that I could overcome this addiction.  I KNOW I CAN! I have some pretty amazing role models in my life that are living proof that you can beat addiction cold turkey.  

My mum and dad are my real life heros.  My dad quit drinking in October of '93 after his doctor told him he'd be dead in a few short years if he didn't quit.  He had been drinking for 20+ years.   He quit cold turkey.  It was a war each and every day for a long time.  And, I know he is probably tempted at times to this day.  But, it's been 22 years of sobriety for him.  I couldn't be prouder and more humbled by his pure will and determination and his will to live for his soulmate and his children.   My mum quit smoking about 5 or 6 years ago after being a heavy smoker for 50+ years.  She, too, quit cold turkey after a horrible case of bronchitis.  I am so incredibly proud of my mum.  She quit with pure will power and determination.  If they could break their addictions cold turkey and never pick up another drink or cigarette, I can quit my addiction to sweets and carbs too!  

After my aha moment on Wednesday night, I had a feeling of hope.  Hope that if my suspicions were correct, then I'd be on a path to living a healthier, longer, more fulfilling, and joyful life.  I thought of my folks.  I thought that if I never had another sweet or another roll for the rest of my life, I'd be okay with that.  An alcoholic can't have a single shot.  A smoker can't have a single drag without becoming addicted again.  An addict can't have a single hit for the rest of their life.  When you have an addiction, there is no such thing as just swig, a drag, a hit, or a bite.  It's the same freaking thing!  Holy Crap!  This was revolutionary to me.  But, first I had to do some research.  

The first action I decided to do that night was:  I'd stop eating all gluten products, all sugar (real and artificial) and all dairy the following day.   I'd eat foods that God intended to be eaten in their truest forms.  God knew exactly what He was doing when He created man and the foods to sustain His creation.  I'd stick to lean proteins (chicken, turkey, venison, seafood, and beef), fresh and frozen vegetables, fresh fruit, nuts, berries, and quinoa.  I started this type of eating beginning with breakfast on Thursday, January 15.  I knew I'd be tempted each day both in my home and out in the real world.  As a good friend recently pointed out to me, the difference between drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes versus food is that we need to eat each and every day.  We do not need drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes to live.  We don't.  A food addict needs to learn to eat clean.  A cocaine addict can distance themselves from other addicts and the drug itself.  A food addict is around food 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365  days a year.  In my opinion, food addiction is far harder to overcome and sustain than any other addiction in the world.  If I'm to overcome this addiction, I need to learn to eat foods that don't have the addicting qualities of sugar and gluten.  

The next action I took was to research sugar addiction / carb addiction.  I talked to a coworker of mine the next morning and told him about my epiphany the night before.  He told me there is, in fact, an addiction to sugar and carbs.  He sent me on my way with the advice to do some internet research on the matter.  That evening, I scoured the internet and discovered that sugar addiction is 8x more addicting than heroine.  Say What!!!  There has been research done with lab rats.  When given the rats were given a choice of sugar water or heroine water, the rats went entirely to the sugar water and literally overdosed on sugar.  They weren't the least bit addicted to the heroine water.  I couldn't believe what I read that night.  I found a book recommendation called The Blood Sugar Solution by Dr. Mark Hyman.  I checked it out of the library a week later.  I have since bought my own copy so I could annotate it.  I'll write more about the book in a future post.  What I'm learning from my own experience, from paying attention to my body, and from what I'm reading by experts in the field of food addiction, INFORMATION IS LIBERATING.  I don't feel hopeless any longer.  Thank you God for answering my prayers.  

I have a ton more to share, but for times sake I'll do that another night.  But, I want to leave off with this.  4 weeks ago today I started eating whole, real foods.  I wasn't following a prescribed meal plan.   I eliminated all processed foods, all gluten, all sugar (real and artificial) and all dairy.  4 weeks ago today I weighed myself and was 228.6 lbs stark naked in my bathroom at 5:30 a.m.  I weighed myself in the buff today at 4:45 a.m. (because I couldn't wait to step on the scale) and drumroll please......................................weighed in at 219.4 lbs, a difference of 9.4 lbs.  I have seen an enormous change all around, (physically and mentally) but I'll write more about it later on too.  I can't wait to share the rest of my story :)  Starting tonight I plan on finishing each update with a food diary so here it is.

----------------------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>--------------------------------
 5 a.m. Workout....30 minutes of Les Mills Pump and Shred----at home video fitness workout that I freaking LOVE!

7 a.m. Breakfast:  3/4 cup egg beaters (equal to 3 whole eggs) cooked with a pad of real butter, green tea to drink

 (no cravings, no hunger until 11)

11 a.m.  Snack:  pink lady apple

12:45 p.m.  Lunch:  2 cups salad greens with 3/4 cup chopped up rotisserie chicken, cucumbers, 5 cherry tomotoes, 2 tbsp of Walden Farms Thousand Island Salad Dressing (sugar free, fat free, carbohydrate free, gluten free, and cholesterol free), 1/2 grapefruit, green tea to drink

  (no cravings, no hunger until about 4:30)

5 p.m.  Snack:  cara cara orange (My freaking all time favorite type of orange....if heaven had a taste, it would taste like a cara cara)

6:30 p.m.  Dinner:  1 cup homemade chicken salad with real mayonnaise, onion, celery, and pepper served with Food Should Taste Good multigrain tortilla chips (gluten free - made with brown rice cereal, flax seeds, sesame seeds and quinoa.)  ((((These are freaking awesome!!!.....my kids LOVE them too!)  cold baby carrots, water

as of 10 p.m. I am completely satisfied and am actually full feeling.  I have zero desire to snack or eat anything.  

No comments:

Post a Comment