Saturday, February 14, 2015

Another food allergy mystery?


Hidden ingredients can be painful.  Literally.  Joe and I took the kids to a local Mexican restaurant for a late lunch.  I asked the waitress if there was any flour or sugars in the things we were ordering.  She assured me there wasn’t.  We ordered the corn tortilla chips with house made guacamole for an appetizer.  The kids and Joe got various meat tacos with corn shells.  I ordered the steak with home made refried beans.  I didn’t touch the rice.  After eating the chips and guacamole I started to feel a slight tinge in my chest.  Nothing that bad, but it was there.  We finished our meals and headed to Petco to make a return.  When I got in the car, the pain was a lot more noticeable.  I told Joe I think I’m having a food allergy reaction.  I’m allergic to eggs and carry an epipen.  My body doesn’t digest egg yolks.  I can eat Egg Beaters, but a regular egg sends me to the hospital with massive chest pain.  The pain is a 10 on the pain scale.  It literally feels like a 200 lb person is standing on my chest and stabbing me through the chest with a giant serrated knife.  I haven’t had a reaction in quite a few years.  I’m usually really careful about it and avoid things that I know have whole egg like fried rice, etc….

I’m driving to Petco, which is only 2 minutes away from the restaurant and the pain was getting a lot worse.  I went into Petco to use the bathroom as Molly did her return.  The pain only grew exponentially and I knew right then and there that this was the egg allergy rearing it’s ugly head.  I couldn’t imagine what the heck had egg in it.  By the time I got back to the car, I knew I needed help asap.  Luckily there was a walk-in clinic in the same plaza.  I’m terrified of giving myself a shot.  We got to the clinic and they got me to a room immediately.  I gave them my epipen and the nurse tried injecting me 3 times!  The thing didn’t work!!!!  They gave me a shot in the arm instead.  Within minutes my chest pain started to subside.  Within an hour we were on our way home. 

But, here’s the scary thing.  The clinic called the restaurant to ask them about all the ingredients in my food and there was no egg in anything!  What the freak?!  I can’t explain it.  It’s the only known food allergy I have.  They gave me the number to the local allergist.  I’ll be calling him Tuesday to get in for new testing.  The doctor at the clinic said you can develop a food allergy at any point.  The one common ingredient was onions and they were in the guacamole, the beans and the steak. 

The other scary thing is the epipen didn’t work because the nurse didn’t take the safety out!  What the heck???????  Next time, I’ll just stab myself.  You’d think a trained nurse would know to take the safety off!  Seriously!

-------------------à>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>--------------------------

No workout this morning.  It’s my rest day J

8 a.m. breakfast:  1 cara cara orange, 4 oz. steak, 2 egg beaters cooked with a tab of butter, organic sugar free salsa. 1 cup unsweetened almond milk

12 p.m. snack:  apple
1:15 p.m. snack:  banana

****We took the kids to see the Sponge Bob movie.  Worst MOVIE ever!  I wanted to walk out half way through it.  None of us got anything to eat.  It was rather torturous to smell all that buttery movie popcorn.  Joe was about to gnaw on his hand.  Movie popcorn is definitely off limits for all of us because of 1.) the fat content, and 2.) the corn itself.  3.) money (we were going out to lunch and I budget every penny and spending additional money on food wasn’t in the budget. especially for overpriced popcorn.)
  
3:30 p.m.  Lunch:  Mexican restaurant:  corn tortilla chips, guacamole, ½ cup refried beans, ½ of a flank steak.  I gave the other half to Joe because I was full.  Water to drink

Not hungry tonight.  The epinephrine killed my appetite and I’m absolutely exhausted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment