Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The not-so funny poem and today's daily update


Everyone who knows me knows I’m a sensitive person.  I cry over commercials, I cringe at watching shows like America’s Funniest Video’s because I can’t stand to watch people get hurt.  I don’t find it funny when a man gets hit in the beans and frank with a piƱata bat.  I love laughing, but I don’t find myself laughing at the misfortune of other people. 

This afternoon we did our 30 minutes of mandatory family reading.  Bennett read his new Stephen King novel, I read more from the Blood Sugar Solution, Molly read her fish book and Maggie read her poem book she picked up at the library a few weeks ago.  Maggie kept wanting to read some of the poems out load to me.  One of them was called Mr. Carumba. 

Before I tell you about Mr. Carumba, let me share with you the title of the book and it’s book jacket description.  It’s called Poem Depot Aisles of Smiles by Douglas Florian.  The back of the book reads, “Load up on laughs in this one-stop poetry book”  The inside jacket reads, “Artist and award-winning author Douglas Florian captures of comedy of kids’ everyday lives in this jam-packed volume.  Meander through the different aisles of this virtual department store on nonsense poems-such as Jest & Jives or Tons of Puns – to find everything from laugh-out-loud limericks to frenetic free verse.  Florian’s fans will have cartloads of fun in the Poem Depot.”  So this book is supposed to be funny? Right?  That’s how it’s advertised.  Everything written in it is supposed to make the reader laugh out load.  Many of them are rather silly and funny.  I personally loved the Mean Meat Loaf one.  But, then Maggie read me Mr. Carumba. 

Mr. Carumba
Mr. Carumba is so very wide,
He takes up six seats when he goes for a ride.
For him it’s a challenge to fit through a door.
He doesn’t wear one belt, he wears twenty-four.
And just like a beach ball, he rolls down the stairs.
He’s already broken one hundred five chairs.
When he walks on sidewalks he leaves behind cracks.
And seven course meals are for him merely snacks.
The shadow he cast sometimes covers two states.
He uses great satellite dishes as plates.
He wears a big circus tent for a top hat.
He eats with a pitchfork and drinks from a vat.

I didn’t find this poem funny.  Maybe I’m too sensitive or don’t have a sense of humor, but I don’t find this poem funny in the least bit.  I am looking past the outside image for what the poem really is about.  It’s about making fun of fat people.  Fat people are to be made fun of.  Let’s face it.  In our society it’s better to be anything else, but fat.  Yet, 70% of Americans are overweight.  Childhood obesity is at an all time high.  We spend billions of dollars on fitness equipment, supplements, diet plans, weight loss surgery, etc to no avail.  It’s perfectly acceptable to call someone fat.   We point and snicker at the overweight person trying to fit into the amusement park ride.  If you are fat in America, you are viewed as a slob, lazy, disgusting, and useless.  We watch t.v. shows like My Big Fat Fabulous Life.  I thought to myself when I first saw the previews that I was happy for that girl.  I’m happy that she loves herself and is confident to show the world that she can be fat and happy.  But, I was sad too because obesity is deadly.  There is no such thing as a healthy fat person.  Sure, an obese person might not have high blood pressure, diabetes, or a variety of other obesity related diseases at a certain time in their life, but it will catch up to them.  I feel bad for her because even if she looks happy on the outside in the previews, I wonder how happy she truly is on the inside.  I wonder if she suffers from any of the ailments that I was suffering from? I wonder how many people watch it because they are happy for her or do they watch it to make fun of her?  I haven’t watched it yet.  I’m not a big TV watcher, but I wonder what the entertainment is for people who do watch it.  Are they like me and happy that she is happy, or are they making fun of her?

Sorry, I got off topic a little there.  But, this poem screamed a painful reality to me.  I explained to Maggie that this poem was sad.  It wasn’t funny even if that was the author’s intention.  My own daughter is so sensitive over her weight.  She’s a “big” kid.  She’s the tallest one in her class, but also one of the largest.  She has come home from school in the past, bawling her pretty blue eyes out because the other girls made fun of her big belly.  She wants to wear the cute in-style clothes, but they aren’t made for “big” girls.  

So, Mr. Florian, your poem isn’t funny.  Obesity is a sickness.  It’s a choice that many of us make, but it’s also an illness brought on by many things.  Things that we can’t or don’t always want to admit.   It took me 22 years to realize that sugar addiction was the root between my struggle to lose weight and stay healthy.   Maybe instead of making fun of fat people, maybe we can show compassion, love, and understanding.  Maybe we can inspire one another to live healthier lives.  Maybe we can share our own personal experiences to help someone else. 

To all the Mr. and Mrs. Carumba’s, whether you are a size 18 or a size 36, in the world.  You are loved.  You are beautiful.  You are worthy of living a full, meaningful and healthy life.  Whatever your reasons are for being obese or whatever the causes are for your obesity, really reflect on those things.  No one will ever say that a being obese is healthy.  You might be happy, but it’s not healthy.  I’m not suggesting going on a diet.  I’m just saying find your reason why.  If you’ve yo-yo’ed like me in the past, really try to discover the hidden reasons.  Once you find that, you might find healthy success. 

***************************************

7 a.m. wake-up (That’s wicked late for me J)

8 a.m. breakfast:  peanut butter and raisin banana boat, 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (2 tbsp all natural peanut butter and ¼ cup raisins spread on top of a sliced banana.)

Morning reflection:  I didn’t know if the peanut butter would hold me over so long.  I didn’t show the first signs of hunger until noon. 

12:30 lunch:  ¾ cold cooked rotisserie chicken, 1 cup mixed fruit (blackberries, blueberries, and grapes), 1 cup cold baby carrots, ¼ cup organic hummus.  Water to drink.

Afternoon reflection:  Great energy.  Got lots of work done around the house.  My butt and legs are sore from yesterdays Pump workout.  I’m not a fan of squats L, but at least I know they are working, right?!

4 p.m. snack:  cara cara orange (My favorite!)  I just started getting hungry. 

7:30 p.m. dinner:  homemade kale chips, garden salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing (((Joe made it and it was awesome!  The kids LOVED it too!)))

No comments:

Post a Comment